After reviewing the best dog bones for aggressive chewers, my furbaby and I once again scoured the market. This time, we tracked down the best dog litter boxes.
You see, my puppy wakes me up three to four times to take a leak. Unfortunately, we moved into a new house without a yard or a doggie door that leads to the patio. At first, I made her wear diapers, but she quickly developed rashes. That is when I decided to hunt down the best dog litter boxes for my pooch so that I could potty train her ASAP!
I know what you are thinking — “litter boxes are for cats.” Initially, yes. But manufacturers nowadays have offered various methods to get our canine companions to tinkle in places other than real grass. Dog litter boxes are an inexpensive option compared to replacing carpets and rugs that could become stained.
Read on to learn which indoor potties make it to our top 7 and what makes them the best from the rest.
- PETMAKER Artificial Grass Mat for Puppies and Small Pets, Portable Potty Trainer for Indoor and Outdoor Use
Potty training can be made simple with the help of this three-layer system by PETMAKER. When nature calls, your puppy can have a grass-like experience indoors. Meanwhile, the grid tray in the middle allows the urine to pass quickly into the collection bin to keep paws clean and dry. If you are looking for affordable versatility, this is the one to buy.
- PetSafe Pet Loo Portable Indoor and Outdoor Potty
The Pet Loo is by far the easiest potty to clean and maintain. Thanks to the slide-out “Pee Pod,” you don’t always have to wash the entire litter box. Just add some “Wee Sponge Powder” into the pod. Like clumping cat litter, it turns urine into a solid mass that you can easily throw away. All plastic components are made of PET (Polyethylene Terephthalate). Therefore, you can guarantee that this product is durable, safe, and eco-friendly.
- Downtown Pet Supply Dog Potty Pad with Artificial Grass Turf, Full-System Portable Potty Trainer
Pet parents who don’t want to bother with frequent cleanups should consider getting this potty trainer. This litter box also consists of artificial grass atop a drawer system. However, your pup might use it as a bed or as a playground at first. You can’t blame your pooch, though because the tinkle surface is irresistibly plush.
- HIPIPET Puppy Dog Potty Tray
Does your pooch hike its leg when peeing? If yes, this litter box might be the best choice for you and Doggo. At the middle of this tinkle tray is a detachable post that encourages your dog’s natural instinct to mark.
- HUILE Artificial Grass and Pee Pad Holder, Indoor and Outdoor Potty Trainer for Dogs
The quality of the faux grass used for this litter box elicited the most praise. After all, it is the same type of artificial grass installed in personal luxury golf courses. Though heavy, you want a long-lasting litter box that will also look great inside your home.
- GPCT Potty Tray with Fake Grass, Indoor and Outdoor Puppy Toilet
Pet parents who are looking for a lightweight three-in-one system would find this product a great buy. Since it is lightweight, you can move it around the house without trouble. Best of all, the faux grass feels almost real.
- PS Korea Dog Charge Indoor Dog Potty Tray with Protection Wall
Hands down to the best dog litter box for pooches with small, stubby legs. This doggie loo has the best configuration among this list as it caters to canines of both sexes. What I like the most about this product is the level of safety and durability it offers. Made of PP plastic, it does not leach harmful chemicals even when exposed to direct sunlight and hot water. My only gripe is that it doesn’t come with a larger size.
small: 16 x 20 x 1.25 in
medium: 20 x 25 x 1.25 in
small: 21 x 17 x 5 in
medium: 24.5 x 24.5 x 5 in
large: 33 x 33 x 5 in
20 x 25 inches
23.6 x 18.1 x 1.9 inches
21 x 21 inches
20 x 24 inches
17.7 x 22.4 inches
7 of the Best Dog Litter Boxes
In cooperation with my two-month-old Chow Chow, I was able to research and identify the best dog litter boxes in the market. Below are my unbiased assessments.
PETMAKER Artificial Grass Mat for Puppies and Small Pets, Portable Potty Trainer for Indoor and Outdoor Use
- small (16 x 20 x 1.25 inches)
- medium (20 x 25 x 1.25 inches)
Starting with the best dog litter boxes is a turf-style pad by PETMAKER. Given the number of ratings this product has earned, it is worth the try. We don’t have a botanical garden or a grassy lawn. My puppy has yet to set foot on the grass someplace else after the government lifts the community quarantine. So, it would be nice for Bao Bao to feel something else aside from the rough concrete patio.
The PETMAKER Artificial Grass Mat for Puppies and Small Pets, Portable Potty Trainer for Indoor and Outdoor Use is available in two sizes. As the name suggests, this product is a potty solution not only for untrained puppies but also for housebroken canines. With this unit, your pet will have a hygienic spot to relieve itself when you are busy or away at work. I ordered the biggest size possible since my furbaby likes to do the “poo poo dance.”
This doggie toilet features a three-layer system: a mat made of synthetic grass, a plastic drainage tray, and a hard plastic base. The faux grass is non-toxic to animals. Most importantly, the mat sits away from the base that collects the urine.
How long before the tray needs emptying depends on the size of your pet and how frequent it pees. Ideally, you want to clean the litter box every day because the bottom tray is shallow. And as with any faux grass solution, you may find it difficult to rinse once it becomes saturated with urine.
So far, we don’t have indoor accidents using this system. The manufacturer claims that the mat has odor-resistant and antimicrobial properties. However, there is nothing to support such a claim. To make sure, I disinfect this doggie toilet using vinegar and baking soda after each rinse.
- available in two sizes (caters to small and medium breeds)
- features a triple-layer filtration
- can fit inside a crate
- an affordable potty solution for puppies and adult canines
- nothing holds the trays together
- may not be suitable for a male canine who raises its leg off the ground when peeing
- the base tray is shallow and thus, require frequent cleanups
- the faux grass takes a while to dry after washing (buy an additional grass mat)
- the faux grass sheds
- cleaning this litter box is not an easy exercise
PetSafe Pet Loo Portable Indoor and Outdoor Potty
- small (21 x 17 x 5 inches)
- medium (24.5 x 24.5 x 5 inches)
- large (33 x 33 x 5 inches)
I chose the large size for my two-month-old pup because she likes to twirl around before she does her business. Nonetheless, I am sure it would hold up to an adult Chow Chow or any large breed. The plastic components are PET-Polyethylene Terephthalate, making them durable, safe, and eco-friendly to boot. With this litter box inside your abode, Doggo won’t have to hold his bladder while he waits for you to come home.
Although the Pet Loo costs a bit more, I like the structure of this litter box better than product #1. Why?
This litter box feels a bit bulky as I carry it up and down the stairs. On the bright side, it isn’t that hard to clean. While I need to scoop up clumps from the collection tray each day, the grass liner can last a week without smelling fetid. So far, the Pet Loo stinks the least among all the best dog litter boxes I tried. If you have extra bucks to spend, you might want to buy the PetSafe Wee Care Enzyme Cleaner to ensure the Pet Loo smells clean and fresh at all times.
- available in three sizes (caters to small, medium, and large breeds)
- the ridges above the covered base allow the pee to drain directly into the “Pee Pod”
- the “Wee Sponge Powder” solidifies the urine for a cleanup that is quick and hassle-free
- the “Pee Pod” works with the “Wee Sponge Powder” to fight odors
- made of PET-Polyethylene Terephthalate (all the plastic parts are safe and heavy-duty)
- more convenient to clean that the first product (sometimes you only need to wash the topper)
- some reviewers say the large size won’t hold up to dogs weighing over 70 pounds
- the clips provide poor stability, rendering them useless
- the price
- may not be suitable for a male canine who raises its leg off the ground when peeing
Downtown Pet Supply Dog Potty Pad with Artificial Grass Turf, Full-System Portable Potty Trainer
- 20 x 25 inches
If you ever had to constantly wash an entire litter box, you will appreciate the convenience of having a pull-out waste shelf. With it, you can dump the contents without getting your hands dirty. Of course, you still have to sponge down the entire unit occasionally. Although the manufacturer claims that their product has been treated with an antimicrobial solution, you want to make sure it is 100% disinfected. Good thing a quick spray of vinegar or a dash of baking soda will do.
Mimicking real grass, it makes it a lot easier for dogs to adapt to their new indoor toilet. (But as of now, my pup thinks it is a bed.) Likewise, this doggie loo is lightweight and portable. You can carry it wherever you are indoors, on the balcony, or in the patio.
Unfortunately, the highlight of this product is also its biggest flaw. The faux grass comes off too easily, especially if you have a digger or a power chewer. You may want to replace the mat after several washes. The grass turf sheds after each wash and by the looks of it, the color will eventually fade.
Nevertheless, this product is still a wonderful tool for urban pet owners. The plushy mat may not be as durable as I hoped it would be, but if you require a quick solution, it should provide a hygienic indoor toilet for your pet for many weeks. Likewise, this product is an affordable alternative to wee-wee pads.
- comprised of a high-density grass mat, a sloped under-tray, and a slide-out shelf
- the grass turf feels plush
- lightweight and portable
- the easy pull-out tray allows quick daily cleanups
- the grass turf doesn’t have proper drainage holes, causing the liquids to linger in the mat for a while
- the grass deteriorates a lot quicker than others
- the overall durability of the product could have been better given the price
- may not be suitable for a male canine who raises its leg off the ground when peeing
HIPIPET Puppy Dog Potty Tray
- 23.6 x 18.1 x 1.9 inches
Another reason to buy this product is that you don’t have to worry that your digger or power chewer might be ripping up faux grass. Although you need to buy wee-wee pads to use this doggie loo effectively, I like that you can change the pads conveniently using the “Snap Lock Latch.”
Moreover, this product features a high-quality plastic construction that comes in either a white and orange finish. The tray comes equipped with a grill with 0.39-inch holes so that the urine flows down instantly, keeping the exterior surface dry at all times. I also appreciate that the manufacturer looked into the safety of our pets by adding anti-slip rubber patches on each foot of this portable doggie toilet.
- designed for all small and medium breeds
- the removable post stimulates the look of outdoor fire hydrants and tree trunks
- the grill comes with 0.39-inch holes, allowing urine to flow directly into the pad
- the “Snap Lock Latch” keeps potty pads in one solid piece
- the rubber feet on the bottom keep the unit in place, as well as your protect your floor from scratches
- the company donates a small portion of their profit to pet shelters and rescues
- you need to buy wee-wee pads to use this product effectively
HUILE Artificial Grass and Pee Pad Holder, Indoor and Outdoor Potty Trainer for Dogs
- 21 x 21 inches
The grass turf lasts a whole lot longer than most artificial grass because it is resilient against extreme heat or cold. Sun exposure can’t damage the grass, which is usually a problem if you place the potty on the balcony or patio. Most importantly, the mat can stand up to misbehaved puppies who like to chew and rip things up.
But because the grass turf weighs 22 pounds, you can rest assured it stays fixed and snug against the plastic frame.
- uses the same artificial grass you find in golf courses
- the synthetic grass is sturdy and short, making it hard to bite off
- does not fade or deteriorate easily when exposed to the elements
- heavy (the mat itself already weighs 22 pounds)
- you have to buy wee-wee pads separately
GPCT Potty Tray with Fake Grass, Indoor and Outdoor Puppy Toilet
- 20 x 24 inches
The size of this pet potty is perfect for puppies.
This portable litter box only weighs around five pounds. If the manufacturer has made the base a little thicker, a small breed could use it well into adulthood.
What catches my attention the most is the realistic appearance of the grass. You could also feel that it is almost natural. If your pup refuses to pee on this litter box, at least you got her an indoor playground.
- uses a three-in-one system
- the synthetic grass looks and feels like the real deal
- can fit inside a crate
- great quality but not for large breeds
- can also be used as a play area
- the edges of the grass turf are frayed
PS Korea Dog Charge Indoor Dog Potty Tray with Protection Wall
- 17.7 x 22.4 inches
- blue, pink, wine
Among the best dog litter boxes that money can buy is the PS Korea Dog Charge Indoor Dog Potty Tray with Protection Wall. This puppy toilet consists of a plastic grate and a base tray with a 6.1-inch protective wall. Whatever peeing position your dog makes, the high sides will contain the tinkles. The grille also snaps securely into the base, preventing it from wobbling that could scare anxious pups.
If you want to transfer this potty tray outdoors, you can without worry. The plastic has a high heat tolerance; it does not out-gas when exposed to direct sunlight or leach harmful chemicals even when you wash it with hot water. Made with eco-friendly PP plastic (polypropylene), it does not contain VOCs (volatile organic compounds) and other toxic substances that can harm you and your pet.
Moreover, there is a space between the grid and the tray for you to insert a disposable pad. If the pads don’t fit perfectly, you can fold it under the grid. The design of the litter box allows for just about any absorbent pad of any size. Regardless, wee-wee pads are optional since the grid has feet to keep paws away from the waste.
I wish the product is also available in medium and large configurations so that it could cater to large, adult breeds.
- enclosed with a 6.1-inch protective wall
- made with PP thermoplastic, which is the safest of plastics
- eco-friendly and long-lasting
- strong enough for outdoor use
- disposable pads are optional
- you can wash this litter box using warm or hot water
- perfect for both female and male canines
- an expensive option
- for puppies and small breeds only
How to Choose the Right Model for You
There are tons of dog litter box brands out there claiming to be the best. But how can you tell if they are up to snuff? Be sure to check out our buying guide below.
Types of Litter Boxes for Dogs
- Real Grass
- Synthetic Grass
- Plastic Crate
- Pee Pad Holder
- Three-in-One System
- Odor Absorbency and Ease of Cleaning
Dogs prefer to eliminate on live grass. And so, manufacturers devised a litter box that relies on a patch of real grass held by a low-walled carton. The cardboard box will most likely have a liner to prevent liquids from saturating it, allowing it to last longer than a wee-wee pad. While the soil underneath the grass absorbs the urine, you will have to clean solid wastes time after time. The sod usually wears out within a week or two. Unfortunately, this type of system tends to be on the pricier end.
As for our list, the closest thing you can get to real grass is the HUILE Artificial Grass and Pee Pad Holder, Indoor and Outdoor Potty Trainer for Dogs.
Since real grass requires frequent replacements, you might want to try an artificial grass mat, instead. Synthetically made grass is more affordable. Additionally, you don’t have to water them or expose them to sunlight to keep them from dying out. All you have to do is to wash and dry these mats on a weekly basis or when your pooch has soiled them. However, synthetic grass doesn’t always appeal to dogs.
My puppy hasn’t seen or stepped foot on real grass before. That is why a grass litter box didn’t make sense to her immediately. But if your pooch has already recognized the grass as a place to tinkle and poop, then it will work out fine for them.
The problem with fake grass is that some dogs are inclined to dig and chew, which is hardly ideal. If this best describes your puppy at home, you might want to opt for a grate-style litter box. This type of potty has a floating grate along the bottom, where liquids pass into the collection tray and solid wastes will sit on the top for you to discard later. The design keeps paws from getting wet and dirty while doing the deed. Most of these litter boxes are low-profile, but some may also have high-sided walls.
Pee pad holders are basically plastic-grate style litter boxes with deep waste trays. Constructed from a large plastic frame, it holds an absorbent material in place. The goal is simple – make potty pads last longer and prevent dogs from tearing them up. Among these are the PS Korea Dog Charge Indoor Dog Potty Tray with Protection Wall, HUILE Artificial Grass and Pee Pad Holder, Indoor and Outdoor Potty Trainer for Dogs, and HIPIPET Puppy Dog Potty Tray.
Manufacturers have come up with various solutions for canine relief and potty training. Although the goal is the same, each potty option offers a different user experience for the pet and its owner. That is why doggie toilets with a three-in-one system stand out the most. These litter boxes offer the best qualities of a grass mat and a plastic crate. Additionally, they are versatile enough to be used as a pee pad holder, as well. A good example would be the PETMAKER Artificial Grass Mat for Puppies and Small Pets, Portable Potty Trainer for Indoor and Outdoor Use
When choosing a litter box for your pooch, you want to pay attention to what features make the unit straightforward to clean. The ability to mask odor well is also a bonus.
Take a look at the PetSafe Pet Loo Portable Indoor and Outdoor Potty. This potty comes with a slide-out pod that holds the urine. Using the “Wee Sponge Powder,” it solidifies the urine and turns it into an odorless clump. At the end of the day, you only need to discard the clumps, rather than clean the entire unit.
Pee pad holders, on the other hand, require the least upkeep since you don’t always have to wash the entire unit unless your dog has soiled the surface. You just have to discard the absorbent pad once it is nearly full.
If you are planning to get a grass litter box, you want to make sure that the mat is porous and supported with a proper drainage system. Otherwise, the urine will saturate the surface quickly. The surface of the potty should be kept dry at all times to prevent your home from reeking of ammonia.
Durability and Safety
Have you checked the materials that make up the litter box? It goes without saying that you will want your dog’s potty to hold up to frequent use, particularly if your pup likes to dig or chew. You don’t want the potty to tip over or break easily.
Looking through the product’s composition also allows you to understand whether or not it poses health hazards to you or your pet. As you may already know, there are many types of cheap plastics that leach harmful chemicals.
Size of Your Dog
The size of your pooch will determine the size of the litter box you need to buy. Dogs often like to spin around before they do the deed. And so, you must provide them with adequate room to move around.
We know you want to provide only the best for your beloved fur-baby. But aside from the expense of a dog litter box, you also need to take into account the continued cost of replacing grass mats and absorbent pads. If you don’t want to deal with the extras, get a grate-style litter box.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are dog litter boxes safe?
Can you train a dog to use a toilet?
What can I use a dog litter box for?
The most common situations in which a dog litter box may help include the following:
- Pet owners living in high-rise apartments
Not every fur-parent has the time or ability to walk down several flights of stairs and climb back up three to four times a day. Even if you take the elevator, you may still find bathroom trips quite an ordeal if you have a busy day ahead.
Take note: litter boxes should only limit the number of trips you make, not replace the trips you make outside.
- Pet owners with limited mobility – Dog owners with special needs will appreciate the convenience litter boxes provide. While an indoor potty may not completely eliminate their pet’s need to go outside, it can at least minimize their dependence upon others to care for their dog.
- Dogs suffering from incontinence or are recovering from an illness – Did you know that well-trained dogs feel embarrassed and upset when they make accidents? Commonly, our canine companions lose their ability to hold urine or feces as they age. And as with people, some dogs may also develop arthritis and other joint problems. Providing senior pets with a potty option indoors will relieve them from discomfort, as well as help promote their overall wellbeing. The same goes for convalescing pets.
- Inclement weather – Another reason why pet parents should invest in an indoor toilet is because it is handy during cold winters and sweltering summers. Overcome by fear, most dogs refuse to go outside when the weather is unfavorable.
Can a dog poop in a litter box?
Potty training is an essential part of being a responsible pet parent. While the task can come with a handful of challenges, recent developments in the pet industry have given us the ability to speed up things.
So, which among the best dog litter boxes would you consider buying? The most popular doggie toilet in our list is no other than the PETMAKER Artificial Grass Mat for Puppies and Small Pets, Portable Potty Trainer for Indoor and Outdoor Use with nearly 6, 000 reviews on Amazon. Second place goes to the PetSafe Pet Loo Portable Indoor and Outdoor Potty, which is best known for its odor-absorbing qualities and ease of cleaning.
But as for me and my furbaby, we prefer the PS Korea Dog Charge Indoor Dog Potty Tray with Protection Wall. I like the sturdiness, versatility, and convenience it provides. The only downside is that it is more expensive than most brands we reviewed. Nevertheless, I won’t be buying wee-wee pads to use this litter box. So, I guess I can save money in the long run. Most importantly, it is durable and built to last.