That is why we advise you to have Doggo wear the best dog flea collar.
As a general rule, flea drops offer more effective and fast-acting results than other treatments. Unfortunately, their effects wear off after a week or so. Thus, you have to repeat the process to prevent re-infestation. This method can be painstaking, given that it comes with a long list of dos and don’ts.
A dog flea collar, on the other hand, is straightforward, and it can last for a long time without your intervention.
Below are five of the best dog flea collars. Keep scrolling to find a detailed discussion of these products.
- The Bayer Seresto Flea & Tick Collar for Dogs currently holds the no.1 spot in the flea collar market. This product features the combined power of imidacloprid and flumethrin. Not only does it kill existing adult fleas and ticks, but it also destroys their eggs and larvae.
- The Merck Scalibor Protector Band is one of the most potent flea collars in the market and perhaps Bayer’s greatest rival. This collar contains 4% deltamethrin to kill fleas and ticks. Likewise, its broad-spectrum formula protects your dog from sandflies, lice, and mosquitoes for six months.
- The Rolf Club 3D Flea & Tick Prevention Collar is ruthless when it comes to fleas and ticks. With its updated German formula, it works nearly as effective as a spot-on treatment.
- The determination to use natural ingredients is what I love about the Arava Flea & Tick Prevention Collar. It harnesses the antiseptic and anti-inflammatory effects of 11 essential oils. Gentle yet effective, this collar is the way to go if you don’t want to rely on chemicals.
- Infused with citronella, geranium, and peppermint oil, the Bearant Flea and Tick Collar will drive away from the pests that are dying to snack on your pooch. Because it has limited natural ingredients, it is guaranteed hypoallergenic to boot.
5 of the Best Dog Flea Collars Reviewed
Treatment or Prevention
Imidacloprid and flumethrin
Every 8 months
Treatment and Prevention
Every 6 months
Treatment and Prevention
Every 6 months
Treatment and Prevention
Natural Active Ingredients
Bayer Seresto Flea & Tick Collar for Dogs (Over 18 lbs./8 Months Protection)
The collars come in one size, so you have to cut off the excess for smaller necks.
This collar harnesses the combined power of imidacloprid and flumethrin, both of which are proven effective against fleas and ticks.
The active ingredients incorporated in the slow-release matrix collar can last up to eight months to ensure the flea life cycle has ceased. There should be no recurring flea or tick attacks within this period because it also repels pest, as the name suggests.
Aside from its impressive killing action, the greaseless formulation is also another thing I love about this product. If you have a double-coated dog, you will understand how important that is!
I also appreciate how the manufacturer has given thoughtful attention to the scent. The product does not emit pungent odors, nor does it have a nose-tickling fragrance.
Although the chemicals used are not meant to harm our pets, some owners complained about severe allergic reactions.
But given that this is Amazon’s best-rated flea collar, I doubt the authenticity of the complainants. Perhaps, these people have somehow misused the product. A majority of consumers, myself included, have positive experiences with this flea collar.
If there is one gripe worth mentioning, I guess that would be the price.
- Kills adult fleas and ticks from the nose to the tail tip within 48 hours or less
- Sustained release technology ends flea life cycle
- Fleas and ticks need not bite your dog to die, as the active ingredients work through contact
- It aids in the treatment of sarcoptic mange; also kills lice
- Non-greasy, odorless, and water-resistant
- Suitable for any adult dog weighing over 18 lbs.
- An expensive option for owners with multiple pets
Merck Scalibor Protector Band for Dogs (6 Months Protection)
Many veterinarians recommend it, as the product has a great legacy, just like Bayer Seresto.
The Merck Scalibor Protector Band contains 4% deltamethrin, making it one of the most potent over-the-counter flea collars for dogs.
As a treatment solution, it eliminates existing fleas by slowly releasing the active ingredient into the natural oils of your dog’s skin through friction. Simply put, a small amount of the chemical releases from the surface of the collar into the skin each time your dog moves.
According to the manufacturer, the collar delivers maximum effectiveness within three months, as well as six months’ worth of broad-spectrum protection. This duration should provide you enough time to plan your next course of action.
Being one of the most expensive flea collars on the market, many pet owners choose to use this product only once a year and rotate to an alternative.
- Kills fleas and ticks through contact
- Retains its deadly killing action up to three months
- It offers six months’ worth of broad-spectrum protection; it repels fleas, ticks, sandflies, mosquitoes, lice, etc.
- Covers all standard features in a flea collar — adjustable and water-resistant
- Recommended by vets
- The outrageous pricing doesn’t help with pet owners with a tight budget
- May cause adverse side effects to sensitive pooches
Rolf Club 3D Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs (Up to 65 lbs./6 Months Protection)
Therefore, it is a potent product capable of knocking down adult fleas and ticks within 24 to 48 hours.
Aside from its rapid effects, the collar provides six months’ worth of protection against a multitude of insects. It doesn’t leave greasy stains on your dog’s neck. Nor does it emit strange smells.
The collar also has an adjustable fit suitable for small to medium-sized pets.
- Ends an existing flea and tick infestation within 48 hours
- Parasites need not bite your dog to die
- Sustained release technology stops the flea life cycle
- Repellent properties last for six months
- Non-greasy, odorless, and water-resistant
- Suitable for any dog weighing no more than 65 lbs.
- The formulation might be too potent for some dogs
Arava Flea & Tick Prevention Collar for Dogs & Puppies (W/ 11 Natural Active Ingredients/6 Months Protection)
The Arava Flea & Tick Collar would be an excellent option for your sensitive pooch. This product features 11 essential oils such as cinnamon, clove, lemongrass, eucalyptus, peppermint, rosemary, thyme, etc. These ingredients will be circulated throughout your dog’s fur through a patented slow-release process.
While this collar does not have many drawbacks, it does have a few issues you need to be aware of.
- First, the collar has a distinctive scent. You may like your pooch walking around smelling like Doublemint, but he may find it repulsive. Nevertheless, you can air out the collar by leaving it outdoors until the fragrance wears off.
- The other issue is that it doesn’t aim to kill existing fleas and ticks, but rather it only prevents them from preying on your dog.
- The last thing I am reluctant to accept is the cost. I guess the price tag comes from the use of natural ingredients. Still, I can’t wrap my head around paying this much when it is not even a “treat and repel” type of flea collar.
But if you administer spot-on treatments, having your dog wear a natural flea collar would be a welcome change.
The five months’ worth of protection can give you a feeling of comfort and peace of mind that bloodsucking pests are not stalking your wandering pooch.
- Features a 100% natural formula comprised of 11 essential oils
- Offers five-month protection against fleas and ticks
- The manufacturer offers a 30-day refund
- Can’t help much with an existing flea infestation
Bearant Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs and Puppies (8 Month Protection)
While it may not be potent enough to get rid of bloodsucking freeloaders off your pooch, you can use it as a supplemental measure to your dog’s current flea treatment.
In so doing, you won’t always have to expose your furry pal to chemicals.
Likewise, it has a “one-size-fits-all” design, so you can easily find a snug fit for your dog.
- The all-natural formula prevents potential side effects
- Offers broad-spectrum protection against various insects
- Designed to fit dogs of all sizes
- Works up to eight months
- Does not treat an existing flea infestation
Face to Face Comparisons
The Bayer Seresto, Merck Scalibor, and Rolf Club 3D have the necessary qualities to look for in a flea collar.
Although they vary in formulation, all three products share the same approach in addressing our pets’ problems. Not only do they eliminate visible fleas and ticks, but they also leave these pests no chance to survive, as eggs and larvae are both annihilated throughout the process.
Also, the collar will supply your dog with a sufficient amount of active ingredients to ward off a new threat.
Merck Laboratories claim their product can repel more than just fleas and ticks. If your area is home to a swarm of insects, perhaps the broad-spectrum protection offered by the Scalibor will give you the peace of mind you seek.
If you wish to go natural, we can’t suggest Arava and Bearant highly enough. Both products exhibit an organic formula.
The only difference between the two is that Arava tends to use more essential oils than Bearant. While this may seem like an advantage, the downside is that it produces a rich fragrance that both you and your pooch cannot ignore. Dogs, particularly hounds, have a keener sense of smell.
Flea Collar Buying Guide
As a consumer, you must know what to look for in a product before you hit the “Add to Cart” and “Buy Now” buttons.
So, let us discuss the essential factors to consider when choosing the best flea collar for Doggo.
There are three different kinds of flea collars. While they may look similar, each type has a unique way of dealing with fleas.Repelling Flea Collar A repelling flea collar aims to prevent ectoparasites, such as fleas and ticks, from perching on your dog’s fur.
The product works by emitting a gas that the insects find repulsive. Thus, the bloodsuckers will ignore your pooch as he goes past them.
You should consider getting this type of collar if you anticipate that fleas might be a future problem for your dog.
But take note that such a collar only has one goal. It offers no sense of treatment if your doggie has already contracted fleas.Treatment Flea Collar A treatment flea collar is a befitting choice if Doggo is already itching and nibbling out of his coat. This type of collar addresses the current flea infestation, instead of preventing one from occurring.
The active ingredients within the collar seep into your dog’s skin and scatter throughout his body via the natural oils he produces.
The product ensures it kills the nasty scroungers to relieve your pooch from the horrifying experience of a flea invasion.Treat & Repel Flea Collar This type of collar features the combined effects of the two models, as mentioned above. Whether your pooch already has freeloading bloodsuckers or not, this collar will help alleviate the problem and eliminate the threat.
However, the price of this multifaceted color does put a burden on the pocket.
You might want to choose between the two other types if you don’t want to pay a pretty penny on a flea collar.
While this is old news, there are still many companies out there who don’t care about our pets’ welfare and use cheap, toxic substances. If the chemical isn’t safe for humans, it isn’t safe for dogs, as well.
If you are anxious about adverse side effects, you may opt for a natural flea collar. Natural ingredients also can kill fleas, although it may take a lot longer than you might like.
Design & Durability
Our four-footed housemates are often as energetic as the Energizer Bunny, and their playful personality retains even into adulthood.
So, it pays to consider the build of the collar. Flimsy and poorly designed flea collars tend to become loose quickly, especially when your pet likes to play rough.
Doggo might accidentally lick it with his tongue, and that, my friend, is evidently bad for his health.
Pay attention to the collar’s lifespan. Some products can only offer a month’s worth of protection, forcing you to buy replacements more frequently.
Other flea collars can last six to eight months.
In the end, the right choice depends on which one is more convenient for you.
Why spend money on a flea collar that loses its efficacy when it comes in contact with water?
You never know when it rains, and your dog is likely to play in puddles when that happens. Besides, wearing a water-resistant flea collar means you won’t have to take it off during bath time.
Size & Adjustability
Sizing is important. Many pet owners complained that the product they received didn’t fit their dog. This problem could have been prevented if they measured their dog’s neck correctly and read the size chart. So, please do this simple task.
Nevertheless, there are flea collars designed with adjustable lengths to make your life easier. The collar must feel snug but not too tight. There should be at least one or two inches of space left.
The best dog flea collars can be quite expensive since they don’t use substandard materials and cheap chemicals. But the longer they last, the better of a deal they become.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do flea collars really work for dogs?
Is Seresto better than Frontline?
What kills fleas on dogs instantly?
Does coconut oil kill fleas on dogs?
How can I kill fleas on my dog naturally?
When should a dog flea collar be changed?
Are flea and tick collars for dogs safe?
Additionally, make sure your dog won’t be able to chew on his collar. Ingesting a few bits of the collar could cause poisoning due to the chemicals it contains. If you have multiple dogs, it is best to remove the collar before you allow your pet to play with his siblings. Otherwise, other dogs could chew on the collar accidentally.
Fleas and ticks sneak on our beloved pets like little ninjas. Since we can barely see them, it is hard to tell who they will snack on next.
So, make sure your pooch is clad with the best dog flea collar to protect him against a planned assault.