Buying the best dog bike trailer is a bizarre concept to some of my friends. But if you are a fur parent like me, you would understand its importance.
My dogs used to chase cyclists and motorists. So, I would give them a biff on the nose with a blast from a water gun.
Then, I had a lightbulb moment and thought, “Why not give my dog a lift while I cruise around the neighborhood with my bike?”
Aside from happy workouts, you can also reap the following benefits if you get the best dog bike trailer:
- You can take your puppy to new, exciting places
- A clingy or anxiety-driven pet will no longer have to be left alone
- Your senior pooch can make most of his remaining years by your side
- No illness or injury can prevent your canine buddy from hanging out with you
As a responsible and loving pet parent, I am sure you can hardly wait to try! However, there is a diverse collection of dog bike trailers out there.
So, let me give you a hand in finding the right product for you and your pooch.
- Schwinn Rascal Pet Trailer — The Rascal sports an impressive design and quality as expected of a company that focuses on producing high-quality cycling products since 1895. You will be hard-pressed to find a dog bike trailer that is as affordable and durable as this!
- Petsafe Solvit HoundAbout Pet Bicycle Trailer — In a nutshell, the Solvit HoundAbout is ideal for our canine companions who weigh no more than 110 pounds. The carriage boasts of a waterproof layer so that it can weather every storm! Although it has a hefty price tag than most, you will get what you pay for.
- Aosom Elite Dog Bike Trailer — This dog bike trailer may fall into the category of cheaper models, and you can’t expect many bells and whistles. But rest assured that Aosom Elite is durable as it is sleek!
- InStep Sync Single-Seat/Double-Seat Foldable Bike Trailer — The InStep Sync sits at the bottom of the price range. Despite having minor flaws, this dog bike trailer is worth buying, especially if you are still introducing your pup to the great outdoors.
- Schwinn Trailblazer Bike Trailer — The Trailblazer provides outstanding features at a nominal rate. Given its brand, it offers a convenient setup, a reliable construction, and fun riding experience for your canine.
5 of the Best Dog Bike Trailers Reviewed
1 pet up to 50 lbs.
Room for additional 12 lbs. of gear
Rear doggy door,
Adjustable leash length,
Washable trailer liner
up to 110 lbs up to 110 lbs
600-D polyester construction
large storage space
Quick release wheels
"A" bicycle hitch
16-inch air-filled pneumatic tires
Versatile bicycle coupler
2 in 1 canopy
Up to 40 pounds
12 pounds of convenient storage
Water-resistant nylon exterior
Unique folding frame
You must be a seasoned cyclist if you are familiar with Schwinn, a well-established bicycle manufacturing company in the United States. Schwinn has been in operation since 1895, so you can imagine how well versed they are in this industry.
Now let us take a good look at the Schwinn Rascal Pet Trailer.
Aesthetically, the Schwinn Rascal has a tasteful design. The trailer comes in a tangerine color accented with black and includes a large, orange safety flag. I don’t like orange shades, so I’m glad there is a blue option for me.
The cart measures 29 x 20 x 9 inches. Weighing at only 26 pounds, you won’t have to be Superman or Wonder Woman to tow your dog!
Moreover, the Schwinn Rascal features a compact steel frame that supports canine passengers weighing up to 50 pounds.
Aside from the flag, the doggie wagon includes an adjustable leash and a non-slip trailer floor to help keep your sniffer safe.
The mechanism on the wheels is another thing I like about this cart. The wheels help absorb the bumpiness of concrete roads to ensure a smoother ride for my pooch.
This feature means you can use this product even when you use a non-standard bicycle. Better yet, you can buy a second angled coupler from the manufacturer so that you can switch the cart between your bike and your partner’s.
This doggie wagon is also easy to maneuver in busy and narrow streets.
- The wide front and rear doors allow ease of access for your pet
- Includes a 2-in-1 canopy that provides weather protection
- Supports pets weighing no more than 50 pounds
- Consists of an adjustable interior leash
- Features a universal coupler
- You can fold the steel frame for quick storing
- The fabric used is a breeze to clean; the entire liner is machine-washable
- Durable yet lightweight at 26 pounds
- The non-slip liner is removable and washable
- You cannot use it as a stroller, unlike other models
When it comes to dog bike trailers, you may feel your options are limited if you own a large canine. But that doesn’t always have to be the case.
The Solvit HoundAbout Pet Bicycle Trailer has been crafted with our stout pets in mind. This product is made by Petsafe, which is also a reputable brand since 1991.
So, what is there to know about it?
The trailer weighs 30 pounds if you choose a model with an aluminum frame. I opted for the steel frame since I have a Malligator who gets skittish whenever he sees roaming critters. Yes, you can choose between two metal frames.
The cabin also has an adjustable leash, so Barky can’t run off if he sees a stray cat.
Moreover, the Solvit HoundAbout features a low and generously sized base to make it a lot easier for your sniffer to get in and out of its wagon. My furry sidekick is getting old, so having this feature is a relief since it won’t trigger arthritis. There is also a cushion to give your pooch a comfortable ride.
Adding to that, the Solvit HoundAbout features a 600-Denier polyester construction.
The trailer also includes a waterproof floorboard, as well as a removable and washable inner and outer liner.
The cart also includes light reflectors to increase its visibility in low-light areas.
This trailer has also given me plenty of options for biking in different weather.
On sunny days, I open the sunroof, so Barky can poke his head out and enjoy a new battery of smells and sights. The front and rear doors are mesh, too. Hence, airflow is generous. When it starts to drizzle, I will put the plastic door back to protect my dog from road grit.
So far, I have no trouble maneuvering and steering the carriage because the 20-inch tires are good quality to boot. As soon as we’re done painting the town red, I fold the trailer for quick storage.
- Features a 600-D polyester construction
- Supports large canines weighing no more than 110 pounds
- You can choose between an aluminum or steel frame
- Durable yet lightweight at 30 pounds (aluminum frame)
- Front and rear doors are mesh for increased airflow
- Has a low and generously-sized base for ease of access
- The front entrance includes an optional plastic flap for extra protection
- Comes with an adjustable leash
- Has exterior pockets for storing essentials
- The inner and outer liners are both removable and washable
- The 20-inch tires are thick and good quality
- Costs twice as much as product no.1
- You have to buy a separate conversion kit to turn this trailer into a stroller
The black and red color combination of the Aosom Elite Dog Bike Trailer makes it look eye-catching. But will this doggie wagon function as good as it looks? The answer is yes!
For one, the Aosom Elite boasts of a sturdy steel frame that supports its sleek exterior and quick-release wheels. If you are good at assembly, you can configure the whole thing in five minutes.
The same thing can be said for when attaching the carriage to your bike. Likewise, you can collapse it quickly for storing.
The Aesom Elite features a heavy-duty polyester exterior. The manufacturer has not given the exact Denier rating of the fabric, but it has withstood the brunt of my skittery mutt thus far.
Additionally, the cabin offers my tail-wagger guaranteed protection against the elements. There are also thick, mesh-zippered screens at the sides for ventilation.
I also like that there is a leash to limit my dog’s freedom.
Moreover, the Aesom Elite measures 31 x 28.5 x 35.5 inches and weighs 32 pounds.
The best thing I like about the Aosom Elite is that it comes with a universal coupler that allows you to attach it to the rear wheel axle of almost any bike — tourist bike, mountain bike, and whatnot.
So, what is the catch?
- Boasts of a heavy-duty steel frame
- Has a water-resistant polyester exterior
- Features a smart, collapsible design
- The front door includes a roll-up plastic cover for weather protection
- Durable yet lightweight at 32 pounds
- Supports canine passengers weighing no more than 66 pounds
- Has dual entry; front and rear doors are mesh for increased airflow
- Consists of an adjustable interior leash
- Uses a universal coupler
- Emits a pungent chemical smell after unboxing; it needs to be aired out
- The thickness of the front and rear mesh flaps are inferior to the side screens
InStep Sync is suitable for both toddlers and dogs. As the name hints, you can choose between a single seat or a double seat design.
The single-seat design has a 40-pound capacity, while the double seat design supports one or two passengers weighing no more than 80 pounds. While this model is the most affordable option in our list, its price tag is only a perk.
This trailer comes with handy features, including a 2-in-1 canopy to protect your pets from pesky pests. On sunny days, you can remove the canopy so your fur babies can enjoy the open sky! Likewise, the weather shield will keep your sniffers dry and toasty when it drizzles.
Moreover, the InStep Sync equips 16-inch air-filled pneumatic tires with molded rims. This type of tire will absorb the unevenness of the terrain. Hence, it allows for a smoother ride and less bumping. These tires also provide traction over slippery surfaces. That aside, the wheels have a quick-release system.
Adding to that, it features a steel framework that you can fold in a jiffy for quicker storage.
- Comes with a 2-in-1 canopy
- The weather-proof cover protects passengers from splattering mud
- Has an easy folding design supported by a steel frame
- You can choose between a single-seat design or double-seat design
- Supports toddlers and pets weighing up to 80 pounds (double seat design)
- Includes a harness and a safety flag
- Quick-release wheels make for quick storage
- Uses 16-inch pneumatic tires with molded rims
- Compatible with most bike types
- The seat sags down a little, especially if you almost reach the weight limit
- The bottom corners have small gaps
Next up is yet another Schwinn product, the Trailblazer. Technically, the Trailblazer is for human kids, but there is no stopping me from trying it out! After all, my dog is my kid, who happens to have fur and four legs.
Kidding aside, let us have an in-depth look at this eye-catching carriage.
The trailer has a reliable construction, owing to its sturdy steel frame and water-resistant nylon exterior.
The manufacturer ensured a user-friendly built. You can assemble the whole thing in about five minutes. If you don’t have much space at home, you can fold the cabin along with the wheels for compact storage.
Although the frame is steel, the cart is lightweight at 30 pounds. The cabin has a weight capacity of 40 pounds, and there is a compartment behind the seat with a 12-pound capacity. There, you can store water bottles, snacks, trailer tools, etc.
So far, I have not encountered problems on grassy grounds, rugged tracks, and on pavements. My canine passenger is always having a good time. Additionally, the carriage features a universal coupler. Hence, it attaches easily to almost any bicycle.
- Features a sturdy steel frame and water-resistant nylon exterior
- The internal cabin can support a 40-pound canine
- Comes with a storage compartment with a 12-pound capacity
- Durable yet lightweight at 30 pounds
- Uses a universal coupler
- Features a foldable design and equips quick-release wheels for compact storage
- Complete with a bug screen and weather shield
- Doubles as a stroller; includes a handy stroller kit
- You can remove the liner for washing
- Lacks a stable flooring, which makes it inadvisable for senior pets
- The side snaps are too tight
Best Dog Bike Trailer Buying Guide
Factors to ConsiderSize Let us start with the trailer size. Your canine buddy will not enjoy the ride if he feels cramped inside. Therefore, measure your pooch beforehand and double-check the product dimensions. The cart doesn’t have to be too spacious. Sniffer should be able to stand up and sit down inside his wagon. Likewise, he should be able to readjust himself, even though he is attached to a harness. Capacity The dog bike trailers mentioned in our list can support canine passengers weighing 40 to 110 pounds. Towing a hefty canine is already a workout in itself, but the metal framework on each model is robust but lightweight. Construction Check the build quality of the cabin. Choose a model made with an aluminum or steel frame, as they are durable and long-lasting. If you have a canine dynamo for a pet, look for a trailer whose interior is made of heavy-duty fabric. Ease of Entry Some models come with a single door, while more expensive ones come with dual entry. Having more entries makes it a lot easier for you to load/unload your pet. A medium-sized dog can enter one door or exit another, whichever is convenient. But if your canine buddy weighs 80 pounds or more, choose a model with a wide and lower wheelbase to lessen the strain on the joints. Flooring The floor of the cabin is an essential quality because you don’t want the trailer seat looking like soggy bread. Not only is a sagging bottom unsightly, but it is uncomfortable and dangerous as well. The floor should not jiggle, nor should it scrunch up. Instead, it should stay in place. But if the trailer you choose happens to lack a cushioning, you can improvise by placing a pillow. Your pooch is going to spend a lot of time inside the cabin. Hence, you need to create a cozy space from which he will watch the world. Weather Protection The sun may be sizzling hot today, but sometimes the rain falls when we least expect it. Thus, it is crucial to have a model that offers weather protection, such as a canopy, removable sunroof, roll-up plastic flap, windshield, and so on. Installment and Stroller Attachment It helps to have a model with a universal coupler, as it is compatible with almost every bike type. Having a stroller attachment included in the package is a huge help, too. With the said feature, you will not have to buy a separate dog stroller.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I connect my bike trailer to my dog?
- Get a wrench.
- Ensure that the rear axle thread extends at least 2 mm from the hub nut.
- Remove both the hub nut and washer from the left side of the rear wheel opposite the sprockets.
- Place the tab washer on the axle by fitting the tab into the slot on the frame dropout.
- If your bike does not have a slot, fit it into the axle slimmer.
- Remove the safety loop from the end of the locking pin.
- Remove the locking pin and slide the coupler off the end of the tow bar with the coupler in a horizontal position.
- Insert the flat part of the coupler plates onto the axle.
- Place the washer and hub nut back onto the axle and tighten. Ensure they are entirely in line.
- Slide the tow bar into the open end of the coupler.
- Insert the lock pin to the coupler.
- Slide the safety loop over the lock pin.
- Wrap the tow bar safety strap around the frame and clip it to the towbar ring.
How do I know which is the right-sized carrier for my pet?
- Slide the handlebars into the top slot towards the back. The black buttons on each side of the handlebars allow you to reposition it when you push them.
- Turn the trailer on its side to attach the wheels.
- Push in the pin and slide the wheel into the available slide. The pin will move back into place, securing the wheel.
- Repeat this step for the other side. Make sure that the wheels feel secure.
- Take the included bars and screw them onto the available bolt right in front of the wheel. Do this on both sides. These bars act as the break as it pushes the bar into the wheel, causing friction.
- To attach it to your bike, you start by pulling out the bike attachment from underneath the trailer in the back.
- Unscrew the available nut on the back wheel of the bike, which you will need to use an adjustable wrench. The included wrench may work depending on the bike model.
- Take the attachment bar then slide it onto the post on the back wheel.
- Take the nut and secure it back onto the bike wheel, connecting it with the trailer arm.
- Go back to the trailer and attach the wheel protection bars.
- Push in the small knob to lock it in place.
How do you fold a bike trailer?
- Start by undoing the button snaps or Velcro attachments so that you can flip the back the lid.
- Take the support bar and swing it out of the way.
- Fold one side followed by the second side. Both sides should fold down flat inside the trailer frame itself.
- Take the canvas and flip it over.
What is your budget?
As for the products we evaluated, you are looking at $80 to $200.
The Schwinn Rascal hits the right balance between durability and affordability at $101. But for something more robust, such as the Solvit HoundAbout, spending twice as much is a sound investment.
What type of roads or terrain will you be riding?
Selecting the best dog bike trailer can be a cumbersome task, especially for those getting it for the first time. We hope we have been helpful with our product reviews and the key points we provided in our buying guide.
But if you are still perplexed about which product to buy, perhaps it is best to start with the Rascal. As we have mentioned earlier, this product comes from the renowned company, Schwinn. This doggie wagon offers multiple access points and a robust yet lightweight construction. The designers had put in a lot of effort and attention to detail into this model. However, it can only support dogs weighing 50 pounds, such as Beagles and Eskies.
So if you have a larger canine passenger, the best dog bike trailer you can buy is the Solvit HoundAbout. The manufacturer gives you the privilege to choose between aluminum and steel builds to ensure it tailors to your budget. The trailer also has a low center of gravity; hence, it does not topple or jiggle if you make a sharp turn.